Person with Disabilities (OKU)
According to the Persons with Disabilities Act (2008), “Person with disabilities include those who have long term physical, mental, intellectual or sensory impairments which in interaction with various barriers may hinder their full and effective participation in society.”
Person with Disabilities (OKU) Registration
- Registration for the person with disabilities is registered with the Social Welfare Department. The purpose for individuals with special needs is encouraged to register to find out the number of special needs individuals by category in Malaysia.
- This information enables the government to design services and facilities for the needs of individuals with disabilities. Whereas for people with disabilities who are registered, they will receive a variety of services.
- Registration of the person with disabilities is not compulsory and is in the hands of the parent or guardian. Parents should consider the child’s future and be aware that the provision of the government takes into account registration statistics.
- Through statistics, various plans to empower individuals with special needs is difficult to do so if parents are hesitant or unwilling to register. The registration of OKU card is not intended to discriminate against individuals with special needs. OKU card will not lessen or increase your child’s disabilities.
Article on Registration of Disability Card
- Many still do not register children with disabilities at Social Welfare Department
- The government is suggested to register the person with the disabilities
- Strict action will be taken if parents fail to register children with disabilities
- Access to print card for disabilities person in each state will be increased
- Accelerate the process of the person with disability card