GENIUS Kurnia is an early intervention centre for children with autism and their families. GENIUS Kurnia provides a high quality early intervention and education to children with autism to prepare them for the mainstream schools. Intervention strategies in GENIUS Kurnia incorporate evidence-based practice and naturalistic teaching with the cooperation between the transdisciplinary groups and active participation of parents.
- Educate children with autism to become independent, contributing members of society.
- Empower parents to enable them to provide appropriate care giving to nurture their children’s development.
- Provide training and consultation to teachers and therapists on evidence-based strategies in educating children with autism.
- Heighten public awareness on autism and the challenges faced by individuals with autism and their families.
- Become the model demonstration centre for future centres throughout the country.
GENIUS KURNIA PROGRAMMES
1. Early Intervention
To enhance basic skills of children aged 6 and below and prepare them for the pre school programme. During the sessions, parents are trained by interventionists to carry out the intervention on children.
- Early communication skills
- Toilet training
- Compliance to instruction
- Behaviour modification
- Pre academic skills
- Children aged between 2 to 6.
- Diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder.
- Referred by GENIUS Kurnia panel of medical doctors.
Intervention Approaches and Strategies
- Applied Behavior Analysis
- Functional Behaviour Assessment
- Behaviour Intervention Plan
- Social Story
- Picture Exchange Communication System (PECS)
- Visual Support
- Structured Teaching
- Parental Training
- Family Support
To prepare children with autism to enter mainstream classes in Year 1. This program operates from 8.30 am to 4.00 pm on weekdays (Monday to Friday).
- To train social and adaptive skills to prepare children for school readiness.
- To assist children in mastering the 3Rs (reading, writing & arithmetics)
- Children aged between 4 to 6.
- Completed the early intervention programme at GENIUS Kurnia
- Fulfilled the entrance criteria set by GENIUS Kurnia for the pre school programme.
Domains of Curriculum
- Social emotionals
- Daily lifes skills
3. Community Education
This programme includes training workshop for parents,allied health professional & medical professional, university students and general publics.
Online Education: iKurnia
The first online course on autism in Malay which provide information and training on the latest, accurate and evidence-based practice to parents, teachers, therapists and the community.
Click here to go to page: